Re: flood models #1 (was Fossil Man Again)

Dave Probert (probert@cs.ucsb.edu)
Sun, 26 Nov 1995 15:24:48 -0800

Stephen wrote:
SJ>Glenn has claimed he has
>published a book arguing that Noah was a Homo habilis and the Flood
>ocurred 5.5 MYA in the Mediterranean. The book has been reviewed by
>Bill Hamilton on the Reflector. I find it most strange that Glenn
>doesn't quote from his book where it touches on these issues.

and:
> But that does not explain why the book is AFAIK almost *never*
> mentioned. Other authors (eg. Walter ReMine) mention their book and
> sometimes quote or paraphrase from it.

Glenn -

I agree with Stephen. Please begin to shamelessly hawk your book.
That you have written a book containing your ideas, and then fail
to use it as leverage in your presentation is a mistake. The tip
of the iceberg argument is so powerful. You can interject in
discussions phrases like ``as I discuss in my book,'' suggesting
that any objection to your argument will be ambushed with something
you have already anticipated.

I counted 141 uses of the phrase 'my book' in the archives of the
reflector, so clearly you are missing out on a form of argument
that others find valuable. Perhaps you suffer from some sense of
false humility? Perhaps there was a defect in your upbringing
that keeps you from continually pointing to previous accomplishments?

Citing `my book' is almost as valuable as `name dropping.' Go ahead
and tilt the playing field in your favor. It is your due for taking
the time to write a book. Make it risky for anyone to challenge your
ideas without first having read your book.

I am working on writing a book myself. If I had realized how
useful it would have been in this forum, perhaps I would have hurried
with it more. As I was saying to Phil Johnson the other day ...

--Dave

P.S. to the group.

Sorry, but after watching `What about Bob?' last night (where LeoMarvin hawks Baby Steps), I have trouble taking Stephen's wondermentseriously. I can't see why Stephen even bothered to bring the questionup. Why should Glenn's failure to more aggressively cite his bookreflect on his arguments? I am thankful Glenn doesn't (whatever hisreasons are). I think it would be tacky.