Re: YEC "lying" (was A guide to (non-social) dating.

Stephen Jones (sjones@iinet.com.au)
Wed, 20 Sep 95 22:08:07 EDT

Group

On Fri, 15 Sep 1995 10:51:14 -0700 Dave wrote:

DP>It seems that even as I discovered that `science' had lied to me,
Glenn discovered that the YECs had lied to him.

[...]

On Fri, 15 Sep 1995 21:24:39 -0400 Glenn wrote:

GM>We should be held to a higher standard. But I would not use the
term "lie". People would have said that about me when I was a YEC
but I wasn't "lying". I believed what I said, knew the problems and
admitted them, although few others seemed to want to admit problems.
I do believe that with few exceptions, they believe what they teach
so it is not lying. But they are not correct in their teaching about
science.

Thanks to Glenn for this clarification, from the "horses' mouth"! :-)

I am not a YEC, but I am disappointed when I read claims that YEC's
"lie". This is IMHO a naive view of human psychology. It is too easy
for us to believe that those we disagree with are lying. We seem to
underestimate the extent to which metaphysical committments colour our
perecption of reality:

"Hilde Hein, in her book On the Nature and Origin of Life, says that
`a metaphysical position...makes a claim about reality which is
somehow prior to or more fundamental than our scientific or
common-sense observations.' How we happen to come by these
metaphysical positions is of no concern to us here. However, as Hein
continues,

`once it is adopted, it will shape, rather than be shaped by, our
scientific and common-sense observations. This is to say that, on the
whole our metaphysical commitment has priority over our scientific and
common-sense beliefs such that, if challenged, they will yield to it
rather than the reverse.' "

(Hilde Hein, 1971. On the Nature and Origin of Life. New York:
McGraw-Hill, p93. in Thaxton C.B., Bradley W.L. & Olsen R.L., "The
Mystery of Life's Origin: Reassessing Current Theories, 1992, Lewis
and Stanley, Dallas, P207).

The need to find those we disagree with as morally wrong (eg. lying),
rather than intellectually wrong (eg. mistaken), is tempting because
it disqualifies our opponents' ideas as legitimate competitors.

However, Jesus words in Mt 7:3-5 should give us pause before we assume
we can judge rightly the hearts and minds of those with whom we
differ:

"Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay
no attention to the plank in your own eye? How can you say to your
brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' when all the time
there is a plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank
out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck
from your brother's eye."

Perhaps we would be wise to consider in this regard what Jesus said
immediately prior to the above:

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you
judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it
will be measured to you." (Mt 7:1-2).

I suggest we make it a rule that no matter how much we might think an
YEC (or an evolutonist) is not being fully truthful, we give him/her
the benefit of the doubt and assume that he/she is merely wrong.

God bless.

Stephen

| 3 Hawker Ave | / Oz \ | sjones@odyssey.apana.org.au |
| Warwick 6024 |->*_,--\_/ | http://www.iinet.net.au/~sjones/ |
| Perth, Australia | v | phone +61 9 448 7439 |