Re: limits of variation

Stephen Jones (sjones@iinet.com.au)
Wed, 02 Aug 95 05:59:07 EDT

Glenn

On Thu, 27 Jul 1995 20:45:54 -0400 you wrote:

GM>...Stephen Jones asked about speciation above the
>species level. Try triticale. It is a polyploid cross between Triticum
>(wheat) and Secale (rye) and it produces a new genus Triticale See J.H.
>Hulse and D. Spurgeon, Triticale. Scientific American, August 1974. At least
>at one time, teosinte was a different genus from corn but after it was found
>to have made corn by means of polyploidy, some have re classified it into the
>same genus as corn.

Thanks again.

I guess we are on a different wave-length. You see this is proof of
change,
I see it as proof of stability of basic type. This wheat and corn are
still
wheat and corn. I see no change to basic type, even if it has changed
according to man's somewhat arbitrary taxonomic categories.

God bless.

Stephen
| Perth | / Oz \ | http://www.iinet.net.au/~sjones/ |
| Australia | -> *_,--\_/ | phone +61 9 448 7439 |