Re: limits of variation

Arthur V. Chadwick (chadwicka@swac.edu)
Tue, 01 Aug 1995 17:43:32 -0700

>Glenn
>
>On Thu 27 Jul 1995 14:19 CT you wrote:
>
>>The reference to the bacteria which became colonial is Boraas, M.E. The
>>induction of algal clusters by flagellate predation EOS, Tran. Amer. Geophy.
>>Union, 64:1102 It is now in the species Coelosphaerium which is in a
>>different family from the original Chlorella vulgaris. It began with colonies
>>ranging from 4 to 32 cells in size but then settled down to an even 8.

Chlorella is an algae, so we have not only produced a new species but a new
kingdom if Coelosphaerium is a bacteria! Someone needs to go back and read
the original paper. I have no confidence in a paper published in the Trans
Amer Geophy Union on transformation of algae! Someone is pulling someones
leg on this one!
Art