Re: limits of variation

Stephen Jones (sjones@iinet.com.au)
Wed, 02 Aug 95 05:51:37 EDT

Glenn

On Thu 27 Jul 1995 14:19 CT you wrote:

>The reference to the bacteria which became colonial is Boraas, M.E. The
>induction of algal clusters by flagellate predation EOS, Tran. Amer. Geophy.
>Union, 64:1102 It is now in the species Coelosphaerium which is in a
>different family from the original Chlorella vulgaris. It began with colonies
>ranging from 4 to 32 cells in size but then settled down to an even 8.

Thanks.

I presume these "bacteria" are still bacteria? If there are no limits
change, I would have thought bacteria, with there immense numbers and
rapid generation rate, would be able to demonstrate macro-evolution in
any high-school lab:

"...bacteria, despite their great production of intra-specific
varieties,
exhibit a great fidelity to their species. The bacillus esherichia
coli,
whose mutants have been studied very carefully, is the best example.
The reader will agree that it is surprising to say the least, to want
to prove evolution and to discover its mechanisms and then to choose
as a material for this study a being which practically stabilized a
billion years ago."

(Grasse P.P, "Evolution of Living Organisms", 1977, p87, in
Morris H.M., "Evolution in Turmoil", 1982, p49).

God bless.

Stephen

| Perth | / Oz \ | http://www.iinet.net.au/~sjones/ |
| Australia | -> *_,--\_/ | phone +61 9 448 7439 |