Re: A suggestion

Stephen Jones (sjones@iinet.com.au)
Thu, 27 Jul 95 07:39:24 EDT

Gordon

On Tue, 25 Jul 1995 11:42:18 -0400 (EDT) you wrote:

>In responding to Stephen, Bill writes:
>
BH>"You and I have a disagreement over the mechanisms God uses to
govern
>nature -- although we agree that He is totally in control moment by
>moment. It seems to me -- and I realize you may disagree emphatically --
>that it is not God's intention to give us a detailed description of the
>methods He uses in His governance in Scripture. Rather He seems more
>concerned with telling us Who He is and how we can have a right
>relationship with Him. We seem to be looking at the world through quite
>different paradigms, and we ought to give some attention to what those
>paradigms are -- if that's possible :-)."

I can't recall getting that message from Bill. When was it?

GS>Picking up on this, I would like to pose a question. Can we
Christians
>who hold to a TE or PE position (or some close variation of these) agree
>on the following points, or something like these?:
>
>1. The biblical data, by itself, does not settle which of these two
>interpretations is correct - or incorrect (possibly both).

I am not sure of that. I am embarking on a detailed study of key
points.
For example, I am researching what the Bible actually says on "kinds"
(Heb. min). My general position is that the Bible seems to depict a
God who intervenes directly at strategic points in human history, so I
am
not prepared to rule this out in biological history.

>2. The means of distinguishing between the two, or rejecting the two,
>depends on observation and interpretation - in the same way science
>normally operates.

Agreed.

>3. In agreeing to this, we allow each other the latitude to be influenced
>by our peculiar understanding of how God operates - while recognizing that
>this is an expression of personal perspective, and not something that
>follows as a "proper understanding of the God revealed in the Bible".

I am neither allowing or disallowing anything. This is a debate. I
give my
reasons and you give yours. You critique mine and I yours. We mutually
learn from each other. We may never agree completely on all things.
Ultimately we are each responsible to God for our views.

GS>I post these points as a suggestion of what we might agree to. If
>something of this sort seem reasonable, please suggest corrections and
>refinements. I, for one, think it would be worthwhile if many of us could
>make some progress in stating something of substance concerning what we do
>agree on. I hope others, also, will find this worthwhile.

Thanks Gordon. Your "peacemaker" role is always appreciated! :-)

God bless.

Stephen
| Perth | / Oz \ | http://www.iinet.net.au/~sjones/ |
| Australia | -> *_,--\_/ | phone +61 9 448 7439 |