Re: Disowning Darwin

Stephen Jones (sjones@iinet.com.au)
Thu, 27 Jul 95 07:27:26 EDT

Steve

On Tue, 25 Jul 1995 12:01:37 -0500 you wrote:

>Stephen Jones stated (unrealistically):
SJ>"If evolutionists completely disowned Darwin, then "Christians"
would
>stop attacking aspects of his thought that are still held by evolutionists
>today."

Unfortunately, as I have already posted to Gordon, you are reacting to
an
excerpt of what I said to Glenn. The terms I was using were largely
his (for the sake of the argument), not mine. Go back and read the
original message before you jump to the wrong conclusions.

SC>Not bloody likely. Christians too often fail to distinguish
between select
>"aspects of (Darwinian) thought" and evolution science. It seems that we
>would rather dismiss the whole package, regardless of what may or may not be
>scientifically useful.

No. Most "Christians" (continuing with yours and Glenn's term), accept
micro-evolution. It is extrapolating micro-evolution to explain macro-
evolution that is the problem. Even Gould has a problem with that.

SC>Christians have had a long standing problem with a
>mechanistic view of the world that is perceived to "limit" God's
>involvement. Evolution (Darwinian or otherwise) represents a current point
>of attack for such sentiment. Just read some of the anti-evolution and
>anti-science rhetoric on this reflector that does not distinguish between
>methodological naturalism and philosophical naturalism and, instead, either
>confuses the two or lumps them together.

I don't necessarily disagree with the above. But some of the
mechanistic
analogies (eg. Glenn's wave-maker), do seem to limit God's involvement
in the world.

But it doesn't deal with the real problem - that is there is no
coherent *mechanism* for Darwinian evolution. Refer to Jim's postings
from Phil Johnson's book re Dawkins and Gould.

God bless.

Stephen
| Perth | / Oz \ | http://www.iinet.net.au/~sjones/ |
| Australia | -> *_,--\_/ | phone +61 9 448 7439 |