Re: Clarification of my Progressive Creationist position

Stephen Jones (sjones@iinet.com.au)
Sat, 01 Jul 95 13:01:49 EDT

Lloyd

On Wed, 28 Jun 1995 16:54:13 -0400 (EDT) you wrote:

>On Wed, 28 Jun 1995, Stephen Jones wrote:

SJ>Evolution is not only a claim that something changed, but it is
also a claim that it happened by a purely naturalistic, mutation +
natural selection process.

LE>Is this claim really true? I understand that Darwin (Charles) and
>neo-Darwinist fundamentalists such as Dawkins hold to that claim, but it
>seems to me (a non-biologist) that many if not most evolutionists today
>claim that evolution = "change in allele frequencies."

If that is the definition that "many if not most evolutionists today"
claim that evolution is, then few (if any) would have a problem with
it. But I have never seen that definition of evolution anywhere.
Have you any evidence for your claim?

LE>If that is indeed the current definition of evolution, then there
>is nothing in it that requires Naturalism (in the sense of capital N
>Naturalism discussed here several months ago).

Agreed. I would be most interested in your posting of authorities for
your assertion, Lloyd. It would seemingly accommodate Progressive
Creationism too?

Regards.

Stephen