Re: Honest?

Stephen Jones (sjones@iinet.com.au)
Sat, 01 Jul 95 12:46:35 EDT

Glenn (and all Reflectorites)

On Wed 28 Jun 1995 10:43 CT you wrote:

>Stephen Jones wrote:
>>Glenn one one who prides himself on honesty..."

GM>I have done too many dishonest things in my life,especially early
in my
>life,to every be able to be proud of my honesty. And even today, if a lady
>asks me if I like her hat, and I think it looks like a turkey which didn't
>survive an encounter with a kitchen blender, I will tell her I like her hat!

It never entered my head that Glenn was dishonest, and I never said
that he
was. My point was that he accuses others (eg. writers of the
"apologetical books") of bordering on dishonesty, because they are
selective in their presentation of evidence.

My point was that it is easy to be *selective* when pushing one's own
point of view. A good example I thought was Glenn's omission from
Denton's quote that he was getting his source information about the
sudden appearance
of angiosperms from an evolutionist authority, ie. Axelrodt. It was
particularly appropriate, I thought, because that was the very topic
of Glenn's
post.

Let me make it perfectly clear. I make it a rule not to think that
ANYONE
that I read is dishonest. That applies whether they are YEC or
evolutionists.
It is too easy to assume that those who disagree with you are knaves
or
fools. If I think that someone I disagree with is being selective, I
always
assume it is because their *paradigm* leads them genuinely to not see
the evidence that I believe I can see. Of course it cuts both ways and
I am
aware that my paradigm leads me not to see what they see.

If I have given anyone the impression that Glenn was dishonest, then I
apologise publicly to Glenn and his friends for my ill-advised choice
of
words.

God bless.

Stephen

| Perth | / Oz \ | http://www.iinet.net.au/~sjones/ |
| Australia | -> *_,--\_/ | phone +61 9 448 7439 |