Re: Antony Flew shifts his position due to scientific evidence

From: <RFaussette@aol.com>
Date: Wed Dec 15 2004 - 08:37:14 EST

In a message dated 12/15/2004 1:39:01 AM Eastern Standard Time, "Phillip Jones" <pcjones5@comcast.net> writes:

>When I submitted this post, it was intended to bring attention to how famed atheistic proponent Antony Flew had interpreted scientific research in such a way that it led him down a path of reason in the direction of a Creator.
Next time I wish to post such an article, I'll refrain from including the link, and instead will post only content from the article that meets the on-topic criteria. A bit laborious, but given the fact that some on this list cannot resist the temptation to extract off-topic inclusionary material and/or engage in questionable behavior, I will do so with any future journalistic material.

When I joined this mailing list, I thought this would bring me into an academic realm where scholarly dialogue occurred in a professional manner and covered content that is intriguing, thought-provoking, and above the pop-culture level. In part, this list has done exactly what I expected. But it comes at a price: we must suffer through belittling, condescending, and emotional responses that tend to take personal attacks to a new low. There is nothing wrong with feeling passionate about a viewpoint, but we must separate our emotions from our intellect when discussing academic level
topics. We must evaluate our submissions to this list to ensure that we are on-topic.

If it is beyond your ability to control your hostilities and to behave in a mature fashion that distinguishes you as a thinker, then maybe you should reconsider your value on this list and do the best thing for this community:
leave.

I support Terry's suggestion of creating a sub-list for off-topic discussions. The use of a Yahoo! Group is preferrable due primarily to ease of use and personal preference settings.

-Phil

From the Flew article:
Flew told The Associated Press that his current ideas had some similarity with those of U.S. “intelligent design” theorists, who see evidence for a guiding force in the construction of the universe. He accepts Darwinian evolution but doubts that it can explain the ultimate origins of life.

rich comments:
I'm sorry Phil, in my haste to defend myself, I didn't reply to the above. I've been to the ISCID forums and their science is questionable at best. Darwinian evolution cannot explain the origins of life, I agree, but does explain the Bible. I have been trying to get that point across but people keep calling me names. I post with references, while others don't. I'm on the evolutionarypsychology list on yahoo, the ancientbiblehistory list, the ancientbiblestudy list, have been on the now defunct h-antisemitism list at michigan state.

I would join Terry's open list if he created one on yahoo if that's what it takes to be able to speak the truth without being called names.
rich faussette