Re: Fw: Scientific theory

From: Randy Isaac <rmisaac@bellatlantic.net>
Date: Mon Dec 13 2004 - 20:23:36 EST

Jim,
    Thanks for giving me a chance to clarify. My paragraph was not intended to be a general comment or to be of broad applicability. It was specifically intended to address the two tests I had cited as potential falsifiability of common descent, namely universality of the 4 nucleotide bases and identical chirality of all DNA. In those cases, theories of origin of species other than common descent, whether it be creation ex nihilo, spontaneous generation, or alien sources, do not predict universality. It can be rationalized (a wise Designer uses a good building block everywhere, lack of viability of other nucleotides, etc.) but a counterexample would not be a falsification.

    As for the more general case, it is a very important aspect of science to understand when negative results are significant and when they aren't, as well as to understand when counterexamples are anomalies and when they are evidence of falsification. I won't try to address that here except to comment on your allusion to Grand Canyon geologic structures. It would indeed constitute falsification of the theory of evolution if it were confirmed that a species existed prior to its ancestral species. The reason that I don't find this a very useful example of falsifiability is that there are too many factors that can cause spurious results. It is often difficult or impossible to resolve all possible perturbations. Given the vast preponderance of examples of sequential fossils of species, the counterexamples are considered anomalies rather than evidence of falsification.

    Randy