Re: Scientific theory

From: bivalve <bivalve@mail.davidson.alumlink.com>
Date: Mon Dec 13 2004 - 18:39:41 EST

> And that kind of change is the sort of thing that these people have been told about and are interested in: "man from ape." Can you make dog variations seem relevant to someone who doesn't accept evolution? <

It would probably help to have skeletons of various breeds to help visualize the magnitude of differences that have been created, since we are already familiar with and thus ignore the external variations. One aspect of particular relevance is the role of neoteny in both creation of certain dog breeds and of humans. Short-faced dog breeds resemble puppies of other breeds in their cranial proportions. Similarly, the relatively large brain to body ratio of humans is more similar to that of very young apes than adult apes.

Another way in which dog variation may be brought to relevance is to point out that if we were to eliminate all the middle-sized dogs, there would be reproductive isolation between, e.g. chihuahuas and St. Bernards. This would create of separate species, something which is denied by some antievolutionists despite the many known examples.

    Dr. David Campbell
    Old Seashells
    University of Alabama
    Biodiversity & Systematics