RE: The puzzle of Adam

From: Dick Fischer <dickfischer@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed Dec 08 2004 - 16:07:21 EST
Rich wrote:

Dick, from your perspective there is a real Adam.

There either was an Adam or there wasn't, regardless of my perspective.  It is a historical fact or a biblical myth.  But he is either one or the other.  And since both Matthew and Paul refer to Adam, I fall on the side of believing them.  If you choose to differ with these luminaries on this issue what other issues of doctrine do you wager against?

I don't believe that is the case due to the nature of the theology that underlies the Biblical story of Adam and Eve. It's too psychologically perfect. A history that was never history, but theology in the first place, can never be a false history and has no bearing on the nature of the theology which was the intention of the author in the first place.

You're mincing words, Rich.  If Adam was a figment, and not a flesh and blood, forbidden fruit eating, bona fide member of the Homo sapiens family, then on similar rationale we could call into question the legitimacy of any and every Bible character without exception.

The only one we could be certain about is Sennacherib, who was king of Assyria, and that's because there is a relief of him in Ninevah.  Say, there is a trivia question for you.  Who is the only Bible character whose image we have today?  I'll bet that would stump a few thumpers.

Dick Fischer  - Genesis Proclaimed Association
www.genesisproclaimed.org