RE: The puzzle of Adam

From: <RFaussette@aol.com>
Date: Wed Dec 08 2004 - 20:33:56 EST

Dick wrote:
There either was an Adam or there wasn't, regardless of my perspective. It is a historical fact or a biblical myth. But he is either one or the other. And since both Matthew and Paul refer to Adam, I fall on the side of believing them. If you choose to differ with these luminaries on this issue what other issues of doctrine do you wager against?
You're mincing words, Rich. If Adam was a figment, and not a flesh and blood, forbidden fruit eating, bona fide member of the Homo sapiens family, then on similar rationale we could call into question the legitimacy of any and every Bible character without exception.

rich:
I don't differ with them and I'm not mincing words. The Talmud also mentions Adam, all of Jewish mysticism mentions Adam, the Nag Hammadi texts mention Adam. I don't deny Adam. But I suggest the story of his life is too fraught with theological import and detail to have been left to chance as a product of ordinary history. It is the central allegory in the Bible.
You remind me of a quote of Ken Ham's:
"If Christian leaders have told the next generation that one can accept the world's teachings in geology, biology, astronomy, etc., and use these to (re)interpret God's Word, then the door has been opened for this to happen in every area, including morality."" Ken Ham, A Young Earth - It's not the Issue! (AiG-USA Newsletter) January 1998

Now what you [Dick] wrote:
"...Then on similar rationale we could call into question the legitimacy of any and every Bible character without exception."

I share your concern and Ken Ham's concern. I believe in Christian morality and I've written about it. That is the topic of my next article which will be coming out in an anthology in March (I am told). I am not looking for scientific explanations to undermine Christianity. That is not the case at all. That is not what I am doing. I look for the science in the religion and I've found it. I was in Washington this past November to watch the evolutionary psychologist Kevin MacDonald receive the Jack London Award from paleoconservative intellectuals for his trilogy on Judaism. He will also have an article in the anthology. May I have your permission to send you a copy of True Religion? That will explain exactly the significance of the allegory of Adam and Eve. You can tear it apart if you like, but take a look at it.

rich