RE: The puzzle of Adam

From: <RFaussette@aol.com>
Date: Tue Dec 07 2004 - 08:36:02 EST

In a message dated 12/6/2004 10:36:06 PM Eastern Standard Time, Dick Fischer <dickfischer@earthlink.net> writes:

>Rich wrote:
>
>In my opinion, the structure of the genesis accounts have a strong underlying psychological and anthropological theme that suggests they were artificially constructed to convey a theology, rather than provide a historical narrative.

>I would consider a false history to be more likely indicative of a false theology.nbsp; Saying the theology is true but the history is inaccurate would lead me to ask what makes you think the theology is any better?

Dick, from your perspective there is a real Adam. I don't believe that is the case due to the nature of the theology that underlies the Biblical story of Adam and Eve. It's too psychologically perfect. A history that was never history, but theology in the first place, can never be a false history and has no bearing on the nature of the theology which was the intention of the author in the first place.

>You don't like talking snakes?nbsp; How about the Holy Spirit taking on the bodily shape of a dove at the baptism of Christ?nbsp; What makes the NT testimony any more believable than the OT narrative?

The first part of the comment, I don't understand. The second part is a mouthful and has to be taken argument by argument in another thread.