Re: The shroud

From: D. F. Siemens, Jr. <dfsiemensjr@juno.com>
Date: Sat Dec 04 2004 - 23:20:42 EST

On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 20:26:57 -0500 wallyshoes <wallyshoes@mindspring.com>
writes:
> http://www.shroudstory.com/faq-vanillin.htm
>
> This was news to me. Can anyone verify?
>
> Walt

I find some things I wonder about in the story. I understand that the
shroud is only brought out on rare occasions. If so, how did two
researchers get to examine the "repaired section"? Where did they get the
thread from the juncture of patch and original to photograph? But the
more important matter is one that hits the actuality of a sheet as a
shroud in ancient Judea. It does not fit with the notion of wrappings for
a corpse, which I understand to be the technique used. The sheet would
not have a place for the spices (John 19:39f; cf. Mark 16:1; Luke 23:56;
24:1). Also, to the best of my knowledge, the earliest reference to the
shroud was medieval.
Dave