Re: new abortion quiz

From: D. F. Siemens, Jr. <dfsiemensjr@juno.com>
Date: Wed Oct 13 2004 - 18:13:22 EDT

David,
If I accept your statements, ethical matters are to be settled
irrationally, despite your protestation. Where did I say that the
scientific method is the final arbiter? that it alone is rational? It
cannot decide ethical matters, or theological. The best it can do is
describe how people act, not how they should act. Where do you get the
idea that I reject revelation as authoritative? Are you saying that
"theological/moral principles" are irrational? You contrast them with
reason.

What I began with is that Moorad shouldn't try to settle an ethical
matter by turning stomachs. That is what is happening with TV broadcasts
of the terrorists sawing off heads in Iraq. Sheila was trying to
establish discourse, that is, rational discussion. Her attempt mirrors
what is essential in theology, ethics, government, et al. If one does not
reasonably organize the data from revelation, the result is schism,
heresy or worse. On the other hand, if effectiveness is the criterion,
few matters are superior to the /argumentum ad baculum/.

Let me continue my lecture on logic with what I call Premise Number One
because it is the basis of more arguments than any other premise I have
encountered. It is a form, virtually never overtly expressed: Since you
disagree with me on [fill in the item of disagreement], you are [insert
any appropriate pejorative term]. Did I detect its use recently?
Dave

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 15:26:56 -0500 "Bundrick, David"