RE: new abortion quiz

From: Bundrick, David <BundrickD@evangel.edu>
Date: Wed Oct 13 2004 - 16:26:56 EDT

From my perspective, Dave, a major difficulty is represented by your
claim that ethical decisions are to be made rationally. Certainly
rationality is an important component in ethical decision-making, and
that is (I believe) part of the imago dei (Isaiah 1:18: "Come now, let
us reason together, says the Lord").

So obviously, decisions should not be made irrationally. But I would
question your (apparent) presupposition that reason (or the scientific
method) rules absolute (trumps everything else) in making ethical
decisions. I do not believe that to be consistent with a Christian
worldview based on Scripture.

I believe we would do well to follow the principle of complementarity
and make these tough ethical decisions on the basis of an understanding
(as complete as possible) of both science/reason and theological/moral
principles. One should be able (in fact, obligated) to consider
experience--including the understanding and (likely emotional) viewing
of the abortion process, for example--as an important component of such
ethical decision-making.

Perhaps we are really on the same page. I have not been able to track
the complete listserv discussion on this matter, and apologize if I have
therefore missed salient points of the friendly debate.

David Bundrick