Re: David Limbaugh at UNCW

From: Innovatia <dennis@innovatia.com>
Date: Wed Oct 06 2004 - 14:05:17 EDT

  From: D. F. Siemens, Jr.

  Your argument from silence is silly.
What am I not saying?
  In NT times there was an absolute monarchy, so there was no vote to mention. In OT times, they started with a theocracy, which didn't work for long, followed by an absolute monarchy. Note that Nathan's condemnation of David was something that could only occur in Israel, and apparently only at that time. Later prophets got into trouble disagreeing with the king.
The king of Israel was not absolute, but was subject to God. If you mean in practice much of the time, then yes, practically speaking.

The idea of democracy/representative govt is at least as old as the Greek civilization and probably older, reaching back to the Parthians, who had an upper and lower house. (Representatives of the upper house, the Magoi, were possibly those who visited Jesus in the manger.)
  During the 20th century, even dictators had to maintain a facade of democracy by having a vote from time to time. But I do not live in a dictatorship. In a republic, my vote counts, though it is only a small fraction of the total effect. But I am responsible under God for that bit. There are also other bits of responsibility besides voting where I can do my best or slough off my duty.
You have not addressed my primary objections to voting and their reasons but are repeating assertions similar to Moorad's.

Our "vote" as Christians is through our influence for the Kingdom of Christ in society. That vote counts far out of proportion to that of electing already preselected front-men by the rulers behind them.
  Now, of course, YOU know that a republic with responsible citizens is contrary to God's will.
I gave some succinct reasons.
  All you have to do to demonstrate this is to have the earth open up and swallow your opposition (me included), along with a judicious selection of other miracles. A face glowing with inner light after you commune with the Almighty will also help demonstrate your right to run things in God's name. Of course, I strongly suggest that you defer such governing until the Son takes control, and then he will not need your mediation.
You're way beyond my own thinking here, Dave, but your suggestion has been my position all along. Here's the rub. The risen Christ IS ruling over his people, and doing so now, is he not? And if so, then ought we, his people, not act consistent with loyalty to his rule? If we do, then many activities that American Christians participate in are acts of divided loyalty, between Christ as Lord and Washington as Lord.

Voting for a ruler is not the worst, but my point is that it shows a lack of discernment regarding how the world-system actually works. The elite always rule, even in an ostensiblt democracy/republic, as the current dictors maintain the facade you correctly alluded to. You just don't know that you live in a dictatorship of sorts.

My question to you (and Moorad) is: How much study have you done of the nature of the present world-system? Of who owns America? Who sets policy? What are the insider/elitist organizations where this goes on? Most Americans have no clue, yet are sure they know what those sound-bite politicians on TV really believe.

Dennis F.