Karpeles Museums

From: Randy Isaac <rmisaac@bellatlantic.net>
Date: Mon Oct 04 2004 - 20:39:41 EDT

Last week Marta and I discovered the Karpeles Museums. This chain of museums, started by David Karpeles in the '80's, preserves the largest private collection of original manuscripts. The exhibit we saw, which spends 3 months at each of the museums in the chain, was "The Bible". One of the pieces on display was purportedly the earliest known fragment of the written creation story of Genesis. Looking at those scratches in the stone, it seemed amazing that we could extract any theological significance, let alone get into an argument about the nuances of meaning of the vocabulary. This exhibit is going to Buffalo next and may be coming to a Karpeles Museum near you (see www.karpeles.com). Other exhibits they have had in the past include original manuscripts from Darwin, Einstein, Martin Luther, etc. We encourage you to see it if you can.

Randy