Re: Genesis 1:1 - a standing miracle

From: Stein A. Stromme <stromme@mi.uib.no>
Date: Fri Jul 23 2004 - 07:01:34 EDT

[Gary Collins]

| As for taking days literally, consider the words of Jesus Himself:
| For as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of a huge
| fish, so the Son of Man will be three days and three nights in the
| heart of the earth. (Matthew 12:40)
|
| Now that certainly looks as if it is to be taken literally, and
| there is nothing in the text to indicate otherwise. It is only when
| we come to examine the events themselves that we find they cannot be
| so, for our Lord was crucified on Friday, buried just before sunset
| - the Sabbath - and by early Sunday morning, He had already risen!
| This means that He was buried for (at most) 1 day, two nights and 2
| parts of days.

While I generally agree with Gary's position in this thread, this
particular example may not be so good. According to the gospel of
John, Jesus was crucified a day earlier, so the number of nights in
the grave is perhaps a little uncertain.

SA

--
Stein Arild Strømme            +47 55584825, +47 95801887
Universitetet i Bergen                  Fax: +47 55589672