Re: Genesis 1:1 - a standing miracle

From: Gary Collins <gwcollins@algol.co.uk>
Date: Fri Jul 23 2004 - 06:24:36 EDT

Michael,

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 22:36:51 +0100, Michael Roberts wrote:

>Gary
>
>Ur is probably 200 miles from "Babylon but Ab was there at c2000=1900BC
>(not Ussher chronology which is only ok after 1050BC).
>
>At present I do not know the state of Babylon maths in 1950BC, as most of
>the stuff available is about 1500BC so off hand I dont know when sexagesimal
>system devised.
>
>If it was 1500BC it points to Genesis being written in c600BC during the
>exile, but I would not commit myself.
>
>Quite a few things in the OT are borrowed from the surrounding culture eg
>style of tabernacle in Wilderness is like a Midianite temple and there are
>strong parallels of the Egyptian teaching of Amenemope with Proverbs
>suggesting a common origin.
>
>I cannot see the problem of the Israelites "borrowing" from their
>surrounding culture though that would shatter some evangelical views of
>inspiration.

In general, nor can I. But your first example above tends to give
me the impression that Moses was a bit of a charlatan - claiming
divine inspiration for the tabernacle design (also Heb. 12) when
all the time he was 'plagiarising' what he had seen in Midian....
I guess the two are not necessarily mutually exclusive, but it
does give one pause for thought.

But then is the LOGOS of John borrowed from the Greeks.

>hope this helps from my ignorance as I am no OT scholar.

It's certainly interesting... thanks.

/Gary