Re: Genesis 1:1 - a standing miracle

From: Michael Roberts <michael.andrea.r@ukonline.co.uk>
Date: Thu Jul 22 2004 - 17:36:51 EDT

Gary

Ur is probably 200 miles from "Babylon but Ab was there at c2000=1900BC
(not Ussher chronology which is only ok after 1050BC).

At present I do not know the state of Babylon maths in 1950BC, as most of
the stuff available is about 1500BC so off hand I dont know when sexagesimal
system devised.

If it was 1500BC it points to Genesis being written in c600BC during the
exile, but I would not commit myself.

Quite a few things in the OT are borrowed from the surrounding culture eg
style of tabernacle in Wilderness is like a Midianite temple and there are
strong parallels of the Egyptian teaching of Amenemope with Proverbs
suggesting a common origin.

I cannot see the problem of the Israelites "borrowing" from their
surrounding culture though that would shatter some evangelical views of
inspiration. But then is the LOGOS of John borrowed from the Greeks.

hope this helps from my ignorance as I am no OT scholar.

Michael