RE: Comparison of ANWR with tar sands and oil shales

From: Glenn Morton <glennmorton@entouch.net>
Date: Thu Jul 01 2004 - 21:57:24 EDT

Roger wrote:

> [...]

There is no oil operation that leaves zero imprint just as there is no
human activity which leaves zero environmental imprint. But compared to
oil shale and tar sands, Anwar would be a breeze by comparison. You
would have oil wells, which means maybe a 900 sq foot pad for the rig
and equipment, but with modern horizontal drilling, those rig pads can
be minimized to a greater degree than occurred on Prudhoe Bay in the
70s. Today we can drill 15000 feet away from the surface location, so
the surface impact of a field today would be so small as to be almost
unnoticed. The biggest impact would be the pipeline. When the Alaska
pipeline was built, the environmentalists claimed that it would kill off
the caribou and would cut off their migration pathways. The pipeline
company was forced to have raised sections so that caribou could go
under the pipeline. When the pipeline was built it was discovered that
in the winter the caribou loved to hug the thing because the oil coming
out of Prudhoe is hot and the pipeline meant warmth. And the caribou
were found walking on the unraised parts of the pipeline. In other
words, they jumped up on parts not meant for them to cross over. In
those regards, the environmentalists were simply wrong.

Just so people will understand what my justification for these
statements are, I used to work for the company that discovered Prudhoe
Bay and was a 25% owner of the pipeline.

If I needed oil and had a choice of ANWR or oil shale, I would choose
ANWR for having the least environmental impact. BTW, there are oil
seeps on ANWR. Arctic flies lay their eggs in the oil. It is part of
the ecosystem. If an oil company were to have an accident and spill oil
up there, the flies would thrive. Not that we want to waste oil that we
can sell.