Re: Comparison of ANWR with tar sands and oil shales

From: Don Winterstein <dfwinterstein@msn.com>
Date: Fri Jul 02 2004 - 03:24:09 EDT

Roger Olson wrote:

"I'd like to see some comments and analysis from the petroleum, energy, and
environmental afficiandos regarding the relative environmental from the
proposed exploration and exploitation of the ANWR deposits vis-a-vis that
is known to be happening the Alberta tar sands and the potential
exploration of CO/WY oil shales."

Glenn is correct in saying the degree of environmental damage inflicted by modern oil exploitation is incomparably less than that from strip mining. However, to drill wells in that part of the world would require sizable buildings to house the drilling equipment and the workers. The facilities would be much like those of an offshore platform, only on land. The footprint would still be small compared to the size of subsurface structures being tapped, and extremely small compared to the size of ANWR.

These days it would be hard to imagine any serious drilling up there without fairly extensive 3D seismic surveys. These surveys would cover a lot of the surface, but they could be done with minimal damage.

I worked for a short time on a seismic crew on the Mackenzie river delta, which is to the east at about the same latitude. Both the Mackenzie delta and ANWR are deserts in terms of the amount of precipitation they get. I recall no sign of any vegetation there in the winter, even though the river supplies the area with lots of water. If my recollection is correct--and I know for sure we spent no time cutting vegetation, presumably ANWR is similar in this respect, so there would be no need to clear paths for ANWR seismic crews.

The crew worked only in the winter, when everything is frozen solid down into the permafrost. (I recall an almost constant -30 deg F, day and night.) So even though the vehicles they used were quite large, they left no tracks except in the thin layer of snow that covered the ground. At that time the seismic sources were 100 pounds of dynamite set off in holes drilled (I think) 100 ft or more deep. The Canadians often preferred dynamite, even though vibratory sources were available and (I believe) would have worked in that kind of weather. If one were to use vibrators, there would be no shotholes and hence possibly no damage at all that could be detected in the summer or the following winter from such a seismic survey.

Heavy supplies could likewise be delivered only in winter, when trucks would dig no ruts no matter how heavily they were loaded. Furthermore, there might be no need to build roads: The vehicles we used for transportation had huge balloon tires that could cross almost any terrain in the area, road or no. Light supplies could be delivered after the melt by helicopter.

Nevertheless, any desert terrain is easily damaged--if it's not frozen solid; and any damage stays detectable for a long time. When such terrain is in the far north, the problem is compounded, because any vegetation that might cover the damage grows very slowly.

(Flying over forests in the Northwest Territories and the Yukon I noticed multitudes of long, linear swaths cut through them in every which direction. They were what was left of clearings for seismic lines that had been shot some years--maybe decades--before; and they were still easily visible. I found out later that Canadian hunters and fishermen love these things, because they've made lots of lakes and streams accessible that never would have been otherwise!)

Despite the strength of the environmental arguments that can be made in favor of exploiting ANWR's oil, I've never seen estimates of likely reserves that are anywhere near those for the tar sands or oil shales. Sobering.

Don