Re: Re: How to interpret Adam (was: Re: Kerkut)

From: D. F. Siemens, Jr. <dfsiemensjr@juno.com>
Date: Mon Feb 23 2004 - 23:08:24 EST

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 20:13:03 -0600 "Glenn Morton"
<glennmorton@entouch.net> writes:
The Australians were in place over 60,000 years ago. see
Australia's oldest human remains: age of the Lake Mungo 3
skeleton

Alan Thorne, Rainer Grnn, Graham Mortimer, Nigel A. Spooner,
John J. Simpson, Malcolm McCulloch, Lois Taylor, Darren
Curnoe

We have carried out a comprehensive ESR and U-series dating
study on the Lake Mungo 3 (LM3) human skeleton. The isotopic
Th/U and Pa/U ratios indicate
that some minor uranium mobilization may have occurred in
the past. Taking such effects into account, the best age
estimate for the human skeleton is obtained
through the combination of U-series and ESR analyses
yielding 62,000+/-6000 years. This age is in close agreement
with OSL age estimates on the sediment into
which the skeleton was buried of 61,000+/-2000 years.
Furthermore, we obtained a U-series age of 81,000+/-21,000
years for the calcitic matrix that was precipitated on the bones after
burial. All age results are
considerably older than the previously assumed age of LM3
and demonstrate the necessity for directly
dating hominid remains. We conclude that the Lake Mungo 3
burial documents the earliest known human presence on the
Australian continent. The age implies that
people who were skeletally within the range of the present
Australian indigenous population colonized the continent
during or before oxygen isotope stage 4
(57,000-71,000 years). Copyright 1999 Academic Press

Journal of Human Evolution, v 36, n 6, June, 1999, p591-612

The idea which Drsyme is advocating is ad hoc. It is a spiritual
difference which can not be detected. That smacks of "I can believe what
I want with no one able to contradict me" type of methodology.

Except that science most assuredly CAN falsify the concept that we are
all descended from a single pair created 7000 years ago. There simply is
too much genetic variability in the human population for it all to have
arisen in the past few thousand years. For some genetic systems which
require 5 million years to explain the variations within the human
family, see http://home.entouch.net/dmd/hegene.htm

Thanks, Glenn, for the information. I was going by memory and trying to
be conservative. The age of the earliest American inhabitants has also
been placed ca 18 Ky, but 12 is generally accepted. Either date plays hob
with a 7 Ky age for the origin of "real" humans, and the genomic should
be devastating--but will not be to the "true believers."
Dave