Re: Re: How to interpret Adam (was: Re: Kerkut)

From: jack syme <drsyme@cablespeed.com>
Date: Tue Feb 24 2004 - 07:24:30 EST

I too thank you for that detailed information.

I asked for a definition of what is meant by " genuinely human". And yes,I suspect this definition of what it means to be "human" is not verifiable, it is likely a philosophcal/religious construct. But this does not make the concept invalid, it just puts it beyond the realm of science. And, this is an important question, it has implications for current medical ethical debates such as abortion and decisions at the end of life. I remember a few years ago there was some debate about whether or not the condition persistent vegetative state, could be considered equivalent to being dead, along the lines of the concept of brain death. My argument at the time was that this involved a concept of "loss of personhood" and was therefore not testable, so could not be seen like brain death, which is testable.

But, this discussion involves what it means to be human, or "created in God's image". I am not sure when Peter Ruest said geninely human he meant just biologically human, or something else. "Something else" would admittedly not be verifiable. But the situation is this as I see it. There were bilogical humans all over the world as far back as 60 thousand years ago according to this information. But, it is my understanding that Adam and Eve, were true historical figures, given New Testament accounts referring to them. And, therefore the first "genuine humans" whatever that means.

So, is it possible that Adam and Eve existed further back than is commonly accepted? I guess that is possible, the biblical evidence seems to contradict this. Is it possible that all homo sapiens were wiped out in a worldwide flood, except for Noah and his descendants, and that all people now are descendant of Adam and Eve? This would seem to fit the biblical evidence, and seems to make the most sense to me, but it appears that there is scientific evidence that contradicts that as well.

Honestly, I do not know what the answer is. But, to claim that Adam and Eve cannot be historical contradicts pretty clear biblical evidence to the contrary, so I do not accept that answer either.