Re: Hyers' Article - Cods Wallop!

From: Phillip Jones <pcjones5@comcast.net>
Date: Mon Feb 23 2004 - 22:31:59 EST

And that's the whole problem...you're applying a present day common interpretive method to a text that was written in a time that was rich with allegory. You're applying a post-modern method of interpretation: separate the text from its original environment and allow the interpreter to set the rules. What you are doing is choosing to ignore the metaphorical usage of an ancient culture so far removed from our own, and applying your default method of reading text, allowing your own hermeneutical baggage to outweigh any background understanding.

In my job, I work daily with people from other countries. When I utter a cliche, sometimes I am misunderstood because the hearer is unfamiliar with my language usage via the cliche. This is the same concept, Dick: you cannot settle for a prima facie interpretation of something not written in present day American english.

-Phil