Georgia and the "E" word

From: <douglas.hayworth@perbio.com>
Date: Wed Feb 04 2004 - 10:41:33 EST

Any comments or insights on the recent debate in Georgia about avoiding use
of the word "evolution" in school textbooks?

I must say that I can understand Kathy Cox's reasons for wanting to avoid
the word itself (but not the actual teaching of the topic) because it turns
people off before they have studied the biology and evidence, etc.
However, based on the reaction, her proposal seems to have backfired.

I was somewhat surprised and impressed that Jimmy Carter made a statement
about the affair (apparently in support of keeping full treatment of
evolution by name as well as content). I can't say that I am in any way an
expert on Jimmy Carter, but I am usually impressed by what I hear about him
when his name comes up in the news. Here's a Christian who seems to have
his head screwed on correctly!

Douglas