Re: Georgia and the "E" word

From: William Hamilton <whamilton51@comcast.net>
Date: Fri Feb 06 2004 - 19:49:49 EST

On Wednesday, February 4, 2004, at 10:41 AM,
douglas.hayworth@perbio.com wrote:

> Any comments or insights on the recent debate in Georgia about
> avoiding use
> of the word "evolution" in school textbooks?

I found the following in an article in the Atlanta Journal and
Constitution:

Intelligent design holds that living things are too complex and diverse
to have evolved through random mutation. Its proponents argue instead
that life on Earth resulted from a purposeful design by a higher
intelligence.

I think that if we could disabuse Christians of this artificial
dichotomy (random v. God) we could go a long way toward defusing the
evolution issue. We need to do some teaching about what "random" means.
  It doesn't mean "uncaused".

Bill Hamilton Rochester, MI 248 652 4148