Re: Georgia and the "E" word

From: Freeman, Louise Margaret <lfreeman@mbc.edu>
Date: Wed Feb 04 2004 - 11:16:44 EST

Classic double-speak, IMHO, reflecting political cowardice. I wonder what
term they intend to substitute for the concept they do plan to teach.
"Natural selection-based speciation"?

Bad in the long term for science, in that Georgian students would graduate
from high school without knowing a key vocabulary word that most colleges
will expect them to know. Worse in the long term for those opposing
evolution on religious grounds, since during it into a "dirty word" only
reinforces the (IMHO erroneous) notion that evolution threatens religion.

I am reminded of those who think federal funding of religious programs will
be more palatable to the public if they are called "faith-based
initiatives." Those who support them would still support them if they were
called by their proper name: "religious." Those who oppose them see through
the double-speak and still oppose them.

Those who support the teaching of evolutionary theory have no reason to
object to the name. Those who oppose it are opposed to a concept, not a
word.

Louise (Emory grad and also a Jimmy Carter fan!)