Re: A case for Christianity that does use ID or YEC arguments

From: Gary Collins <gwcollins@algol.co.uk>
Date: Tue Feb 03 2004 - 15:56:07 EST

On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 11:31:49 -0000, Michael Roberts wrote:

> I read Kerkut some 30 years ago, when YECs were swooning over it. His
>thesis was that no clear mode or process for evolution had been found so we
>should be more humble about trumpeting evolution. He did of course totally
>accept the age of the earth nd the fossil order so no crumbs for YECs. Dear
>Henry Morris because he reckoned the fossil succession was based on
>evolution (a totally false statement) regarded Kerkut as very important.

Since he was, I believe, an atheist, I assume that he accepted evolution
broadly at least, because there doesn't seem to be any other atheistic
explanation for origins. It's refreshing that someone in his position -
I forget what he was professor of, but it was something in the field of
medicine or pathology - should be honest enough, and feel strongly
enough, to publish something along those lines. YECs will, of course,
jump at anything like that to bolster their case (and probably
misinterpret it in the process of doing so).

>About what I said of atheists I will be clear. If I am to be given the
>choice of being a YEC with their character assassination and distortions or
>an atheist with ethics I should choose the later. The former is of course a
>travesty of being a Christian.

I realized exactly what you meant.
But thank God - literally - that we are not presented with such a dichotomy,
as some would try to make us believe!

/Gary