Re: Who's Burden of Proof?

From: Walter Hicks <wallyshoes@mindspring.com>
Date: Sat Nov 29 2003 - 11:01:45 EST

Mark Dodson wrote:

(snip)

> To wit: seems to me that when we humans approach a design, we are
> already limited by the common "clay" that is available. We have to
> economize and simplify and make do and use only those laws of nature
> that we find available. To the Big Design Dude in the Sky, however,
> there are no such limitations. Designs can be as wildly creative as He
> wants to make them. So maybe these "crazy" ideas like String Theory
> and such might be just His was of blowing our little minds and reminding
> us how itsy bitsy our little brains really are. I know if I were God,
> that's what I would do.... on a daily basis... But, oops, there I go
> again, trying to imagine how God might think.

OTOH, we attribute things to God even though we have no idea as to what
limitations he really might have. Sure he is all powerful wrt this universe
but what about outside of it in his own God-world? Theologians jump all over
me when I say things like:

Is God truly alone outside of this universe (not to be confused with him
being the creator and sustainer of this universe)? Sometimes he uses "we" and
"us" in scripture. Must it necessarily be the Trinity only? Does it even
matter/

God seems to have emotions. Does he feel pain (God-pain not physical)? I
think that he does. Is that why we (in his image) are allowed to feel pain
and observe it around us?

Does he have a mission for us in the afterlife (besides singing songs and
tending to this physical environment)? I wouldn't mind being a "gofer" for
God. That would be great fun!

Personally, I like analogies and the illustration of QM. I think that they
are a better way to think about God than to expect to wring the ultimate
truth from interpreting scripture. Scripture, to me, is best used to guide us
in faith and morals -- not to figure out what God is like.

But what do I know? I can't even out debate Glennn Morton in my own field :)

Walt

Walt Hicks <wallyshoes@mindspring.com>

In any consistent theory, there must
exist true but not provable statements.