Re: Who's Burden of Proof?

From: Steve Petermann <steve@spetermann.org>
Date: Sat Nov 29 2003 - 10:51:38 EST

Terry wrote:
> (Do you honestly believe that God has
> to test His designs?)

If part of God's design process is to use natural selection, that is a form
of test.

> If we throw
> in some of what George Murphy and others have said, that one of God
> purposes in designing the universe the way he did was to remain
> somewhat "hidden"--that sort of complicates the analogy a bit as well.

I think if God is "hidden" to us it is because of the nature of God not
because hiding serves some theological purpose.

> The Bible doesn't seem to work that way
> (or even encourage us to go that direction). Rather, faith produced
> by the preaching of the gospel results in new life and open eyes to
> see what one couldn't see before--a designer God.

While I appreciate appeals to scripture as an impetus to direct one's
research on science and religion issues, if the appeal is to make scientific
arguments superfluous then it is not part of a S/R dialog.

Steve Petermann