Re: Who's Burden of Proof?

From: <glennmorton@entouch.net>
Date: Fri Nov 28 2003 - 19:58:32 EST

From: Walter Hicks <wallyshoes@mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2003 19:20:57 -0500
>> Or a process called simulated annealing, which is used in geophysics to design models of the subsurface. These things use chance based upon random number generators to mutate the model looking for a better fit to the real data. This type of procedure is quite widespread and shows that designers do use chance.
>
>Sounds like a purely theoretical construct to me. (i.e. "a specious fabrication")
>
>Designers do NOT use chance, Glenn --- other than to filter out what is wanted from what is not.
>
>You geologists have to live with what exists in the ground. We modern engineers have a greater choice in our occupations...
>
>So live with it, Glenn!

THis shows that blind faith and burying one's head in the sand can lead to any theologically acceptable conclusion. I am always amazed at how certain people are of fields of endeavour they haven't ever studied or worked in.

Before you speak about things of which you know nothing, you should understand the process used in my industry to take seismic data, turn it into rock properties so that we can then build reservoir models and find oil that has been left behind. We spend millions on such things as this, all using chance to find the solution, and we do it because it works and we make money off of it. If it didn't work at designing our reservoir models, we wouldn't do it because that would be stupid. Oil men aren't stupid.

You are the one who needs to live with it. But go back to assuming your mythical ostrich-like position.