Re: Who's Burden of Proof?

From: Walter Hicks <wallyshoes@mindspring.com>
Date: Fri Nov 28 2003 - 19:20:57 EST

glennmorton@entouch.net wrote:

> From: Mark Dodson <dodsonm@comcast.net>
> Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2003 12:48:41 -0500
>

> >On Friday, November 28, 2003, at 10:52 AM, Steve Petermann wrote:
> >
> >> I know of no good designers who would
> >> allow chance to be a dominant force affecting or driving their designs.
> >
> >Hey there,
> >
> > what about quantum computing?
> >
> >Just thought I'd throw that in there.
>
> Or a process called simulated annealing, which is used in geophysics to design models of the subsurface. These things use chance based upon random number generators to mutate the model looking for a better fit to the real data. This type of procedure is quite widespread and shows that designers do use chance.

Sounds like a purely theoretical construct to me. (i.e. "a specious fabrication")

Designers do NOT use chance, Glenn --- other than to filter out what is wanted from what is not.

You geologists have to live with what exists in the ground. We modern engineers have a greater choice in our occupations...

So live with it, Glenn!

Walt

.

--