Re: Declining water and oil

From: bpayne15@juno.com
Date: Sat Nov 15 2003 - 19:56:13 EST

    On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 08:37:16 -0700 "Steven M Smith" <smsmith@usgs.gov>
    writes:

    > Interesting connection of ideas! Until Glenn showed that JPG graph of
    oil generation
    > <http://home.entouch.net/dmd/OilGenerationRichardFowlerPETEX2000.jpg I
    had
    > never thought about oil generation being episodic. This observation
    > suggests that conditions were different during those periods.

    Careful, Steve, you're starting to sound like Kent Hovind. :-)

      The slide
    > roughly correlated the episodes to continental breakup but this may be
    > fortuitous or a co-varying factor. Certainly the suggestion of a
    change in
    > ocean water chemistry being correlated with episodes of oil production
    (or
    > planktonic blooms) is another fertile idea (pun intended).

    The Clinton iron ore is a Silurian red hematite that stretches from
    Alabama to New York. It runs about 35-40% iron, compared with about
    50-60% iron in the specular hematite we get from South America. The
    Clinton is a fossiliferous, shallow-water deposit, possibly originating
    from the weathering of mafic igneous rocks (according to Longwell, Flint
    and Sanders, _Physical Geology_, 1969, p586).

    I suppose if Art's idea is correct, then there should have been massive
    plantonic blooms during the Silurian. Does this time correlate with an
    episode of oil production, Glenn?

    Bill