Fe in seawater and carbonates

From: Michael DePangher (mikedep@direcway.com)
Date: Sat Nov 15 2003 - 13:15:30 EST

    I think there might be two problems with using Fe in carbonates as an indicator of Fe in seawater. Although Fe++ is easily incorporated into many carbonate minerals (there's a good stain for it in thin section), I don't know of any that take Fe+++. Is the oxidation state of Fe critical in Art's model? There might also be problems involving conversion of primary skeletal aragonite into calcite. Cheers.
    Mike DePangher