Re: Fe in seawater and carbonates

From: Steven M Smith (smsmith@usgs.gov)
Date: Mon Nov 17 2003 - 10:14:35 EST

    I wrote:
    <<As a geochemist, I would postdict that fossil shells from mollusks, which
    were alive during these periods, would contain higher metal contents (such
    as iron) or different compositions than mollusk shells from other periods.
    In other words, we could use the chemistry of fossil shells as a proxy for
    the changing chemistry of the ocean.>>

    Mike DePangher replied:
    <I think there might be two problems with using Fe in carbonates as an
    indicator of Fe in seawater. Although Fe++ is easily incorporated into many
    carbonate minerals (there's a good stain for it in thin section), I don't
    know of any that take Fe+++. Is the oxidation state of Fe critical in Art's
    model? There might also be problems involving conversion of primary
    skeletal aragonite into calcite. Cheers. >

    Hi Mike,
    Thanks for your reply. Yes, because of the oxidation state, I wouldn't
    expect Fe+++ to substantially substitute for calcium in the aragonite
    shells. In fact, I wouldn't expect Fe++ to be a major component of the
    shells despite the ease of substitution. I simply expect that under
    different ocean chemical conditions, mollusk shells would pick up minute
    amounts of trace elements that could be a response to those environmental
    conditions. I simply think that a comparison of trace elements over time
    in mollusk shells might have a story to tell IF there were a major addition
    of metals (like iron) to the ocean at definable periods. (You will notice
    that in the original message, I didn't commit myself to Fe as the only or
    best indicator in those shells. However, I see that my statements were not
    clear that I was talking about trace elements in the shells and not the
    major shell chemistry.) I freely admit that I'm speculating ... but that's
    how new ideas get proposed and experiments get started.

    If I remember correctly from the discussion several years ago (a memory is
    a dangerous thing to depend on), Art wasn't proposing a model but simply
    speculating on some recently published ideas. From what I've heard (i.e.
    hearsay), the Fe ocean-seeding idea is still a highly controversial subject
    with some overstated claims on all sides. I am not familiar enough with
    the literature to tell you if the oxidation state of iron is critical for
    the planktonic blooms.

    Steve
     Steven M. Smith, Geologist, U.S. Geological Survey
     Box 25046, M.S. 973, DFC, Denver, CO 80225
     Office: (303)236-1192, Fax: (303)236-3200
     Email: smsmith@usgs.gov
     -USGS Nat'l Geochem. Database NURE HSSR Web Site-
      http://pubs.usgs.gov/of/1997/ofr-97-0492/