RE: Declining water and oil

From: Glenn Morton (glennmorton@entouch.net)
Date: Thu Nov 13 2003 - 18:30:32 EST

    Steve Smith pointed us to an excellent article. I would add that the
    majority of the world's oil is generated by merely 8 unusual times in earth
    history. I just put a slide up from a talk given in London in 2000 by
    Richard Fowler of Robertson Resarch. His talk was entitled, "WORLD
    CONVENTIONAL HYDROCARBON RESOURCES: HOW MUCH REMAINS TO BE DISCOVERED AND
    WHERE IS IT?"

    My favorite slide is found temporarily at
    http://home.entouch.net/dmd/OilGenerationRichardFowlerPETEX2000.jpg

    The vertical scale is billions of barrels. The horizontal axis is millions
    of years. THe chart spans from the Cambrian to the present on the left. The
    Green lines show how much oil was generated in the world from the source
    rocks of those 8 OAE's (oceanic anoxic events). Almost all of the oil
    source rock is generated during continental breakups. Most of the world's
    oil comes from the Jurassic and Cretaceous OAEs and given that the world has
    pumple about 1 trillion barrels out of the ground, you can do the equivalent
    of wiping out now, the 150 myr OAE which is the largest one. The last OAE
    was about 90 million years ago so it has been a long time since the earth
    created oil source rocks.