Re: Declining water and oil

From: Roger Olson (rogero@saintjoe.edu)
Date: Thu Nov 13 2003 - 15:21:15 EST

    Steven, Glenn, et. al..,

    "...A staggering 98 tons of prehistoric, buried plant material -- that's
    196,000 pounds -- is required to produce each gallon of gasoline... "

    A quick technical question --- doesn't most petroleum originate from the
    burial and thermal maturation of marine protists (zoo- and
    phytoplankton) rather than "plant material"? Or is this article simply
    giving a plant analogy of the sheer volume of equlivalent organic
    material needed to produce a gallon of petrol?

    Thanks for clearing this up. I'm not a geologist, but take some
    interest in the subject.

    Roger