Re: Four items of possible controversy

From: John W Burgeson (jwburgeson@juno.com)
Date: Wed Nov 12 2003 - 18:32:26 EST

    I must have written with less clarity than usual (not unheard of) as Rich
    replied (in part):

    "It is interesting to see a Christian who denies the mechanics of the
    real world."

    Hmm. I was posing a question, that's all.

    " How can you can question the morality of a Christian who puts his money
    where his heart is?"

    Well, I guess that questioning that morality is within the bounds of
    civil discussion. As I said, I have not taken a position on it, one way
    or the other.

    " And to juxtapose a gay bishop with the capital punishment of gays is
    tantamount to saying George Bush drags black people behind pickup trucks,
    an analogy drawn by the NAACP. Both are sensationalist analogies,
    hopelessly overdrawn to make the intended effect."

    I seem to have drawn blood here -- I did not mean to do so. Admanson's
    views are certainly part of the public record and discussion. The fact
    that I choose Bishop Robinson's case to illustrate the question and
    Admanson's horrific views are accidentally linked. Perhaps I could make
    the case better by referring to Adolph Coors, head of the Coors Brewing
    company, who spends his wealth on other issues dear to the fundamentalist
    mind. Or perhaps someone else would be a better example.

    I am still struggling with the format of the proper question here. And
    Admanson may well not be the type of example I should use. Or Coors
    either, for that reason.

    Bill Gates and Ted Turner have given vast sums to promote causes they
    deeply believe in. AFAIK, such funding has been for direct benefits to
    worthy people and not for lobbying, or for the creation of yet another
    organization such as "Citizens for the support of (cause)" which is
    designed to look as if it is driven by many people rather than one
    person. I guess that is the morality I am questioning.

    "Abraham Foxman calls what you are doing "blaming the victim." And here
    below is one of the most powerful people in the world apologizing for
    doing what you say this Ahmanson does that is immoral. Interesting that
    very few of his co-religioists agree with him and notice he's apologizing
    for what he's actually done, not for what he says should not be done:"

    I really don't follow your train of thought here. The info on George
    Soros was interesting; I did not know of him.

    "Is that the solution you suggest? That Ahmanson give up his money,
    close his mouth?"

    I did not suggest any "solution," but only posed a question (apparently
    with not perfect clarity).

    "The Noahide Laws were passed into law in the US in 1991. You must be
    absolutely horrified!"

    Sorry. I don't understand what you mean.

    "A religious bloc vote by a religious community propelled Hilary
    Clinton to the Senate when New Square NY voted 1400 to 12 after Hilary's
    visit to the rabbi. "

    And your point is? That 1388 votes were enough to gain her victory?

    "The word is theocracy."

    That's not the word I was seeking, although it does fit. A guy by the
    name of Rushdoony (sp?) coined it about 20 years ago.

    "To suggest that Christians not use wealth to protect their "altars" is
    naive.""

    I did not suggest this. I did suggest that there were both moral and
    immoral ways to use one's wealth.

    Burgy

    www.burgy.50megs.com

    Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!