Re: Four items of possible controversy

From: RFaussette@aol.com
Date: Wed Nov 12 2003 - 20:02:03 EST

    In a message dated 11/12/03 6:33:40 PM Eastern Standard Time,
    jwburgeson@juno.com writes:
    "To suggest that Christians not use wealth to protect their "altars" is
    naive.""

    I did not suggest this. I did suggest that there were both moral and
    immoral ways to use one's wealth.
    George Soros with whom you are unfamiliar is far more leveraged than any
    fundamentalist you have mentioned (Putin just closed his office) and the quote I
    offered was his accepting responsibility for wielding his power, an act which
    seems not to have earned him any stock among his peers as can be gleaned from a
    snip from the previously posted quote below. I merely took advantage of the
    opportunity you offered to juxtapose the positions which both arrived in my
    mailbox at about the same time.
    -------------------------
    Soros had said:
    “I’m also very concerned about my own role because the new anti-Semitism
    holds that the Jews rule the world,” said Soros, whose projects and funding have
    influenced governments and promoted various political causes around the world.
    “As an unintended consequence of my actions,” he said, “I also contribute to
    that image.”
    After the conference, some Jewish leaders who heard about the speech reacted
    angrily to Soros’ remarks.
    “Let’s understand things clearly: Anti-Semitism is not caused by Jews; it’s
    caused by anti-Semites,” said Elan Steinberg, senior advisor at the World
    Jewish Congress. “One can certainly be critical of Bush policy or Sharon policy,
    but any deviation from the understanding of the real cause of anti-Semitism is
    not merely a disservice, but a historic lie.”
    Abraham Foxman, national director of the Anti-Defamation League, called Soros’
     comments “absolutely obscene.”

    And that argument among those Jewish VIPs contrasted sharply with a Christian
    questioning the morality of another Christian who uses his leverage to his
    advantage and perhaps to the advantage of other Christians.

    rich faussette