Re: Four items of possible controversy

From: RFaussette@aol.com
Date: Wed Nov 12 2003 - 11:27:16 EST

    In a message dated 11/11/03 5:43:26 PM Eastern Standard Time,
    jwburgeson@juno.com writes:
    So there are two questions. (1) Are the reports of Ahmanson's bankrolling
    correct? and (2) Are such activities a "Christian" thing to do? I am
    fairly sure (but not certain) that the answer to (1) is "yes." The answer
    to (2) is more problematical. I have a hard time saying it is an immoral
    action, but it doesn't "smell" just right. Perhaps it is the secrecy
    involved.

    Burgy
    It is interesting to see a Christian who denies the mechanics of the real
    world. How can you can question the morality of a Christian who puts his money
    where his heart is? And to juxtapose a gay bishop with the capital punishment of
    gays is tantamount to saying George Bush drags black people behind pickup
    trucks, an analogy drawn by the NAACP. Both are sensationalist analogies,
    hopelessly overdrawn to make the intended effect.

    Abraham Foxman calls what you are doing "blaming the victim." And here below
    is one of the most powerful people in the world apologizing for doing what you
    say this Ahmanson does that is immoral. Interesting that very few of his
    co-religioists agree with him and notice he's apologizing for what he's actually
    done, not for what he says should not be done:

    NEW YORK, Nov. 7 (JTA) — It’s not often that George Soros, the billionaire
    financier and philanthropist, makes an appearance before a Jewish audience.
    It’s even rarer for him to use such an occasion to talk about Israel, Jews
    and his own role in effecting political change.
    So when Soros stepped to the podium Wednesday to address those issues at a
    conference of the Jewish Funders Network, audience members were listening
    carefully.
    Many were surprised by what they heard.
    When asked about anti-Semitism in Europe, Soros, who is Jewish, said European
    anti-Semitism is the result of the policies of Israel and the United States.
    “There is a resurgence of anti-Semitism in Europe. The policies of the Bush
    administration and the Sharon administration contribute to that,” Soros said. “
    It’s not specifically anti-Semitism, but it does manifest itself in
    anti-Semitism as well. I’m critical of those policies.”
    “If we change that direction, then anti-Semitism also will diminish,” he
    said. “I can’t see how one could confront it directly.”
    That is a point made by Israel’s most vociferous critics, whom some Jewish
    activists charge with using anti-Zionism as a guise for anti-Semitism.
    The billionaire financier said he, too, bears some responsibility for the new
    anti-Semitism, citing last month’s speech by Malaysia’s outgoing prime
    minister, Mahathir Mohammad, who said, “Jews rule the world by proxy.”
    “I’m also very concerned about my own role because the new anti-Semitism
    holds that the Jews rule the world,” said Soros, whose projects and funding have
    influenced governments and promoted various political causes around the world.
    “As an unintended consequence of my actions,” he said, “I also contribute to
    that image.”
    After the conference, some Jewish leaders who heard about the speech reacted
    angrily to Soros’ remarks.
    “Let’s understand things clearly: Anti-Semitism is not caused by Jews; it’s
    caused by anti-Semites,” said Elan Steinberg, senior advisor at the World
    Jewish Congress. “One can certainly be critical of Bush policy or Sharon policy,
    but any deviation from the understanding of the real cause of anti-Semitism is
    not merely a disservice, but a historic lie.”
    Abraham Foxman, national director of the Anti-Defamation League, called Soros’
     comments “absolutely obscene.”
    “He buys into the stereotype,” Foxman said. “It’s a simplistic,
    counterproductive, biased and bigoted perception of what’s out there. It’s blaming the
    victim for all of Israel’s and the Jewish people’s ills.”
    Furthermore, Foxman said, “If he sees that his position of being who he is
    may contribute to the perception of anti-Semitism, what’s his solution to
    himself — that he give up his money? That he close his mouth?”

    Is that the solution you suggest? That Ahmanson give up his money, close his
    mouth?

    rich faussette