Re: Four items of possible controversy

From: John W Burgeson (jwburgeson@juno.com)
Date: Wed Nov 12 2003 - 10:39:03 EST

    Gordon wrote: "However someone who
    does not accept his financial support should not be tainted by being on
    the same side as he is on some particular issue."

    I quite agree; I did not argue that way. The issue I wished to probe was
    only this: To what extent is it a moral action for a very wealthy person
    to spend that wealth in a political/religious cause? And are there moral
    and immoral ways in which that could be done, assiming that it is moral?

    Admanson's advocacy of a "Christian State" (is the word theonomy?) is one
    I regard with absolute horror, but I also must assume he holds that
    peculiar position honestly and sincerely. Such a position, of course,
    leads him to naturally oppose the bishop's consecration. But is Admanson
    an Episcopal? If not -- is is ethical for him to fund one side in a fight
    he has no stake in? And to what extent should he make his funding public?

    I don't know the answrs to all this. Full disclosure seems to be a good
    goal to work for. Also -- because I have $10,000,000 and you have $100,
    should my voice in the debate necessarily be louder than yours?

    Burgy

    www.burgy.50megs.com

    Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!