Re: Kirk Durston's reply - 2

From: Walter Hicks (wallyshoes@mindspring.com)
Date: Tue Nov 11 2003 - 22:26:44 EST

    Being somewhat confused about how 70 meager bits of information can be a
    stumbling block to a simple evolutionary process, I ran my own basic
    simulation. I took two arrays of 70 bits and started them with all zeros. One
    was the “survivor” and the other was not. I then randomly "mutated" one bit
    from the survivor array (to construct the second array) at each step. If it was
    a zero, it became a one and vice versa. I then computed the total number of
    ones in both arrays and took the one with the greater total to be the survivor
    (more ones = the ability to get more of the food supply). The survivor array
    had to acquire these 70 bits of “information” in this simple evolution model.

    It did not take any 2^70 steps. In fact it generally took less than 300 steps
    for the survivor to acquire 70 ones. Any evolutionary process is one that
    builds upon previous steps and does not follow a random walk. It more closely
    resembles a sum of the the average terms than the product of the
    probabilities. I do not understand the ID viewpoint at all.

    What am I missing?

    Walt

    --
    Walt Hicks <wallyshoes@mindspring.com>