Re: So what?!

From: Howard J. Van Till (hvantill@chartermi.net)
Date: Thu Nov 06 2003 - 20:04:03 EST

    >From: "Dr. Blake Nelson" <bnelson301@yahoo.com>

    > ... Too much emphasis on the Bible
    > qua document tends toward bibliolatry.

    > My main point was that bibliolatry is a great danger.
    > Some of the claims of numerics in the Bible border on
    > bibliolatry.

    Right on target, Blake. In fact, one might go on to say that an obsession
    with claims regarding the revelatory nature of numerical curiosities sifted
    from the biblical text not only borders on bibliolatry, but resides fully in
    the territory of idolatry of one's own idiosyncratic system of numerical
    sifting (sometimes called "cherry picking").