Re: Intelligent design controversy in Canada

From: Michael Roberts (michael.andrea.r@ukonline.co.uk)
Date: Thu Nov 06 2003 - 17:27:15 EST

    To put Ruse in the same camp as Dennett and Dawkins is absurd. Michael Ruse
    is not a Christian beleiver but he is a very fair commentator and I have
    been using his books for over 20 years as a help to my own studies and
    research. I often do not agree with him but he is always most helpful. I
    would recommend all his books especially his historical ones, I obviously do
    not agree with him on many ethical and religious matters.

    One of his most useful books for this list would be Can a Darwinian be a
    Christian? (Cambridge Univ Press 2000) It is very fair and balanced and
    deals with difficulties both religious and Darwinian. It is anything but
    atheistic and anti-Christian. He lays out the issues plainly.

    As I have written a book chapter on ID for a book he and Dembski have edited
    I shall e-mail him for his comments on that little debate. I am not happy
    with the charge of him being abusive. He will argue robustly (as Glenn does
    with me!) but he is a genuine good bloke. However there are occassions when
    people need putting in their place when they argue badly.

    Denyse please think and study more carefully about what you criticise.

    Michael