Re: Intelligent design controversy in Canada

From: Denyse O'Leary (oleary@sympatico.ca)
Date: Thu Nov 06 2003 - 16:25:28 EST

      Jan de Koning wrote:
    > THE school-system? I know at least three school-systems here (Public,
    > Roman-Catholic, Christian) and I know about several more. I see that
    > you live in Toronto just like I do, so I cannot understand your talking
    > about the schools like there was only one.

    Jan, I would appreciate any information you can provide that shows that
    the Catholic school system in Ontario has separate evolution
    expectations from the public system. As the many tiny Christian systems
    are not publicly funded (or only partially so), I do not know that they
    are relevant, but perhaps you can explain.

    Let me take this opportunity to invite you to watch Test of Faith on
    Vision TV on Monday, November 17, at 10:00 p.m. There, you will see how
    evolutionist Michael Ruse spoke to Bob Giza, a Toronto teacher who
    talked about intelligent design theory with his Grade 12 biology class,
    as part of the discussion of Darwinism. I don't know how much of what
    the studio audience heard will be edited off the tape, but I was there,
    and it was pretty abusive, in my view. Ruse taught for many years at the
    University of Guelph, near Toronto.

    >My children did not go to
    > public schools here, and we have here a graduate school, Institute for
    > Christian Studies (ICS), several Roman Catholic colleges, Wycliffe
    > College, Community Colleges, Bible Colleges, 2 Universities, etc.etc.
    > When accusing you should be more specific.

    Well, yes, we have those institutions, but why don't we talk about the
    University of Toronto, which must have many times the students of all of
    them put together. Or the Toronto District school Board, the biggest
    board in Canada? What do you suppose goes on at those places?

    > To my knowledge several school-systems may teach evolution, but very few
    > will teach unadulterated "Darwinism". On the contrary, even
    > school-systems that teach so-called "evolution" may do it on a truly
    > Christian basis.

    Can you give an example of evolution "on a Christina basis" being taught
    at the Toronto District School Board, the largest board in Canada? More
    to the point, can you justify it, given that TDSB is an emphatically
    secular board?

    Even that may be done in different ways. Defining
    > "evolution" as Denyse does is dangerous, and may be even called
    > un-Christian as it does not specify enough what is wrong.

    I believe I referred to Darwinism, not evolution.

    > "Reductionist"? How? At the university level it gives more
    > particulars than any anti-evolution theory can bring forward.

    Well, yes, but for how much of Darwinism is there good evidence? That is
    precisely the question at issue.

    > "Atheistic"? Depends on who is teaching. Any Christian teaching in
    > any place will often not hesitate to see some other person, who is not a
    > Christian, to give him the label "atheist," without even trying to find
    > the background of his thinking.

    The best known Darwinists such as Dennett and Dawkins, Ruse and E.O.
    Wilson, do not require us to guess. They publish books on their thinking.

    As Christians we are really not good at
    > distinguishing people we are disagreeing with. I can assure you,
    > though, that I am a Christian, and I do think that God created using
    > evolution.

    I take your word for it.

    > "Darwinism"? Is that what Darwin thought, or, do you mean what is
    > taught now, pointing out Darwin's errors as well?

    By Darwinism, I mean the view that life forms can be explained as the
    result of natural selection acting on random mutations. It is called
    neo-Darwinism in the science literature. In my experience, more people
    are anxious to defend or excuse Darwin's errors than to point them out.

    > "reductionist"? How? "chance-oriented"? According to the Bible,
    > chance is in God's hands. Is that the "chance" you mean?

    Well, I agree that the Bible says that, but I do not think that major
    evolutionists like Dawkins, Ruse, and Dennett do.

    It's Darwinism that is taught in biology classes, not the Bible.

    cheers,

    Denyse