Re: A man of mud Re: Academics who actively support Young Earth Creationism

From: Walter Hicks (wallyshoes@mindspring.com)
Date: Tue Nov 04 2003 - 14:12:40 EST

    George Murphy wrote:

    > Walter Hicks wrote:
    > >
    > > Hey George,
    > >
    > > I was responding to your post and really asking you to elaborate, not to get in a snit about it.
    >
    > I was not in a snit but in a hurry.

    I think we should have a face for a hurry. like "((:))", so as not to confuse a hurry with a snit ;)

    > I'll try to go into a little more detail
    > here. But allow me to say, in a non-snitty fashion, that some of these matters have
    > been discussed many times on this list. In particular, I have several times set out
    > internal evidence for not reading Genesis 1-2 as historical narrative. It does get a
    > little tiring to keep repeating things.

    Actually I feel the same way myself. Rather than go down the "you say, I say" trail, let me try a different tack.
    I'll just say what I believe and we can take it from there.

    First of all, I believe that the Bible is inspired by God and is the ultimate reference for faith and morals for a
    Christian. I do not believe that it reports itself to be any more than that (such as infallible science, history,
    numerology, poetry, etc.). My concordance (King James) lists the word "infallible" as being used only once in the
    Bible. It is in Acts 1:3 and does not refer to the Bible. The concept of "Infallibility" just allows some people
    to take dogmatic stands about ridiculous ideas IMO. This list has a representative group of antagonists (who
    vociferously act in a non-christian manner when challenged) to prove the point.

    I read Genesis 1 as a description of God's physical creation. I was initially impressed at how closely it
    parallels what we know to be true. Not that it was a science textbook ---- but that for a 4000 year old document
    it is truly amazing and indubitably inspired (IMO again). The second chapter is an entire other issue.. It
    seriously revises the order of things from Gen. 1 and seems intent on showing man's relationship to God. My first
    impression was that it was not actually historical. But then all the begats and ages seem to cry out to the
    contrary. (I am just reading -- not MIND reading!) Insofar as the flood and other stories, they seem to be based
    in historical fact, although they seem to be exaggerated in some respects (size of Babylon, Nineveh, and other
    things). I am not being a concordist. I can accept that they might be truth in other than a historical option --
    but that is just one possibility.

    Now shall I read a specific book to help me out? I don't think so. Reason?: Look at the theories that abound.

    We have Flood Theology, 2 or more varieties of Numerology, Several Varieties of Concordism, Literalism, MN,
    REP?,etc. on this list. How does one choose the correct one? How would you evaluate the above options?

    I think that the OT simply points to Jesus Christ, not the other way around, and all the rest of this is
    interesting but not necessary for salvation -- at all! I enjoy the discussions, but do not intend to chose one
    of the above theories on this list and try to become a whiz at it.

    At the same time, I like your basic philosophy a of working the Bible from a view of Jesus christ. That is the
    only correct starting point IMHO.

    So pick the above apart. I have acquired a thick skin and can take it. You cannot be any more discourteous than
    Richard of the Bible Wheel.

    Walt

    --
    Walt Hicks <wallyshoes@mindspring.com>